Friday, October 2, 2009

September 29th

September 29th, 2009

So I don't really have a picture for today, and I was thinking about that when I was getting ready for bed. I had just read stories and so I decided to take a picture of our new book organization system... to document for all eternity how anal retentive I can be.

Nicholas has a problem with taking all of the books off of the shelves. So I put them all on the top shelf of his closet. This caused problems because there was very little book rotation going on because I had to keep the closet locked so that he and his monkey self wouldn't go up and pull them all down and get hurt.

So I bought twelve of these baskets (on sale of course) and lined them up on the floor and sorted the books into them. I didn't sort much for theme, just for type. So they each have about the same amount of board books, little golden books, clifford books, etc, etc. I did put the snow books in the winter ones, the school books in august and september and the summer books in summer when I realized that I had them in my hands. But, considering that I just grabbed stacks and dropped them it, it isn't very scientific.

Each month I pull a new bucket down and Nicholas gets to keep it in his room. He picks books out of it for his bedtime stories, and he can look at the books alone in his room. And, when he makes a mess, it is a small enough mess that he can clean it up all by himself. It has been great.

The bucket shown here is September's bucket. It will get put away in a few days. We have been trying to make sure that we have read all of the stories once. I, for one, can't wait for October to come down so that I don't have to read about Dora's trip to the dentist or Elmo's trip to the firestation for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment